Monday, April 8, 2013

Carter Liou question 5: Why did Gene go to Finny’s house? How did it impact Finny? Did Gene try to do the right thing? Why or why not? What would you have done?

Gene visited Finny’s house because he felt guilty about jouncing the tree and making him fall and break his leg.  Gene also wanted to tell Finny the truth that it was his fault Finny fell and broke his leg.  On page 69 Gene says as the narrator, “It was there that I had done it, but it was here that I would have to tell it.  I felt like a wild man who had stumbled in from the jungle to tear the place apart”(Knowles 69).  Here Gene is saying that it was there at Finny’s house where he would have to admit jouncing the tree.  Finny responds not believing what Gene is saying and just thinks he is talking nonsense.  I feel like in this situation Gene did not do the right thing because if I were him I wouldn’t have gone up to my best friend and told him that I purposely jounced a tree to try and kill him.  I mean if I were Finny and I found out that what Gene had said was true I wouldn’t really want to hang out with him because he could try to kill me again. Rivalry and jealousy is natural to a certain point but not when you are trying to kill your best friend.  In the end Gene leaves but as he does Finny asks him a final question: “You aren’t going to start living by the rules, are you”? Though Gene can’t even respond truthfully and says, “Oh no I would never do that.”

Do you think that was a good ending point to the chapter why or why not?

2 comments:

  1. Carter I see your point that if Gene told Finny it could ruin their friendship, but since Finny was a good friend and Gene was good to him Finny could never believe that Gene pushed him off. "Of couse you didn't do it..." (Knowles 70) this is Finny denying the Gene could have been the reason that he fell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it was weird how Finny reacted. Finny believed that they were really good friends, I doubt he wanted to make Gene fail after his reaction here. He wanted to believe that they were still friends, but Gene went well over overreacting to what Finny "did." Finny here is a good friend, he doesnt believe what happened even though he was blatantly told the truth. However, Gene not only shook the branch to cause Finny to fall, but then he went on to wear his clothes and he acted better than his normal self. What Gene did is not part of a "healthy competition" or a "rivalry" it's just cruel.

    ReplyDelete